Some people are old at 18 and some are young at 90. Time is a concept that humans created.
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
For all of you who’ve felt even for a second that it’s ever too late:
1. Charles Bukowski had his first book published when he was 49
2. Leonard Cohen was 33 when his first album was released
3. Marina Abramovic’s career as an independent artist wasn’t solidified until she was 42
4. Julia Child’s career started when she was 36
5. Van Gogh started drawing when he was 27
6. Monet painted Sunrise when he was 33, but wasn’t producing his best work until his early 40s
7. Kazuo Ohno started dancing when he was 27
8. William S. Burroughs had his first novel published when he was 39
My goofiest-sounding secret is that I also believe in magic. Sometimes I call it God and sometimes I call it light, and I believe in it because every now and then I read a really good book or hear a really good song or have a really good conversation with a friend and they seem to have some kind of shine to them. The list I keep of these moments in the back of my journal is comprised less of times when I was laughing or smiling and more of times when I felt like I could feel the colors in my eyes deepening from the display before me. Times in which I felt I was witnessing an all-encompassing representation of life driven by an understanding that, coincidence or not, our existence is a peculiar thing, and perhaps the greatest way to honor it is to just be human. To be happy AND sad, and everything else. And yeah, living is a pain, and I say I hate everyone and everything, and I don’t exude much enthusiasm when sandwiched between fluorescent lighting and vinyl flooring for six hours straight, and I will probably mumble a bunch about how much I wish I could sleep forever the next time I have to wake up at 6 AM. But make no mistake about it: I really do like living. I really, truly do.
Finding your passion isn’t just about careers and money. It’s about finding your authentic self. The one you’ve buried beneath other people’s needs.
I walk around the world like a ghost, and sometimes I question whether I even exist. Whether I’ve ever existed at all.